Sobey Art Award logo
The Sobey Art Foundation and the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia are pleased to announce the longlist for the 2014 Sobey Art Award, Canada's pre-eminent contemporary art award.
Each year the Sobey Art Award is awarded to a visual artist age 40 and under who has exhibited in a public or commercial art gallery within 18 months of being nominated. The 2014 Curatorial Panel has announced that the 25 artists vying for the 2014 Sobey Art Award are:
Prairies and the North
Michael Dumontier & Neil Farber
Sarah Fillmore Chief Curator, Art Gallery of Nova Scotia and Curator, Sobey Art Award says:
"The longlist for the Sobey Art Award is always a greatly anticipated survey of contemporary Canadian art. Drawing on the largest response ever to the call for nominations for the Sobey Art Award, the curatorial panel assembled a stellar longlist from among Canada's most thought-provoking artists. This list is the result of a lengthy and challenging debate. I thank the nominators, who brought forward and shone a light on talent from across Canada."
The members of the 2014 Curatorial Panel are:
- Jordan Strom, Curator, Exhibitions and Collections, Surrey Art Gallery, British Columbia
- Paul Butler, Curator of Contemporary Art, Winnipeg Art Gallery, Manitoba
- Srimoyee Mitra, Curator of Contemporary Art, Art Gallery of Windsor, Ontario
- Marie-Eve Beaupré, Conservatrice de l'art contemporain, Musée national des beaux arts, Québec
- Pan Wendt, Curator, Confederation Centre of the Arts, Prince Edward Island
The 2014 shortlist of the Sobey Art Award will be announced June 4. Work by the shortlisted artists will be shown in an exhibition at the Winnipeg Art Gallery opening on November 1, with the winner being announced at a Gala event on November 19.
Report courtesy Sobey Art Award.