"Souris Valley Antique Association"
Grant Arnold, "Souris Valley Antique Association," 1981, photograph. Part of the PAVED Arts donation to the Mendel Art Gallery. Collection of the Mendel Art Gallery. Gift of the Artist 2011.
MENDEL GALLERY ENHANCES COLLECTION WITH MAJOR DONATIONS
Three recent significant donations to Saskatoon’s Mendel Art Gallery have boosted the gallery’s collection of regional painting and photography. Celebrated Saskatchewan painters William Perehudoff and Dorothy Knowles have donated works of their own to the permanent collection, including six Perehudoff paintings dated from 1958 to 1989, and eight from Knowles, dated from 1981 to 1994. One of the province’s most accomplished landscape painters, Knowles’ donation has built the Mendel’s collection to 48 of her works. Perehudoff, Knowles’ husband, has made an important contribution to the evolution of abstract painting in the province. The Mendel’s Perehudoff collection is now 129 works.
A second gift this past fall from PAVED Arts has built the gallery’s permanent collection of photographs, acquiring the entire collection (some 970 works) and reference library of The Photographers Gallery. The body of work includes photographs by 125 artists, including Evergon, Yousuf Karsh, and Gabor Szilasi, and Saskatchewan artists like Don Hall, David O’Hara, and Frances Robson. Created in 1973 as an artists’ collective, Photographers Gallery attracted local, regional, and international exhibitions and tours, and was amalgamated in 2003 with media centre Video Verité and renamed PAVED Arts.