Launched in 2002, Galleries West magazine strives to heighten awareness of the visual arts scene in Western Canada. It features art galleries and art exhibitions in Winnipeg, Brandon, Saskatoon, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, Red Deer, Medicine Hat, Victoria, Vancouver, Kamloops, Kelowna, Penticton and art galleries and art exhibitions in smaller centres of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.
Professionally written, accessible features on regionally relevant issues and events, profiles of art makers, critical essays, online exhibition reviews and detailed listings of fine art galleries serve to stimulate, engage, entertain and enlighten art-interested readers including artists, collectors and dealers across the West.
We acknowledge the support of the Government of Alberta Multimedia Development Fund in the realization of this website.
Galleries West is published three times per year with 16,500 copies per issue. Distribution is primarily through nearly 300 fine art galleries in Western Canada. The print magazine is also available on selected newsstands across Canada at $15 per copy and by subscription at $35 (1 year); $60 (2 years); and $75 (3 years) plus GST/HST. For USA add $15; for International add $30. The online version attracts over 8,000 unique visitors per month.
Most artists profiled in Galleries West are involved in a gallery exhibition during the publication period of the given issue. We provide timely information for readers by highlighting noteworthy exhibitions happening in the four western provinces.
The Galleries West cover profile is generally reserved for rising to mid-career artists who are creating a buzz. Garnering acclaim and recognition within their own realms, these artists may not yet be widely known across the region. Our intention is to help spread the word!
Other feature-length profiles focus on prominent artists of significant reputation including tribute to Western Canada's distinguished senior artists.
The Previews & Profiles section provides short, easy-to-skim write-ups on emerging to mid-career artists exhibiting across the region.
The Reviews section offers longer commentary on exhibitions which occurred in Western Canada during the preceding 4-month period. These reviews are posted to our website immediately after they are written, often while the exhibitions are continuing.
In each issue, Galleries West strives to provide insight into some aspect of art making or into issues, ideas or events relevant to the Western Canadian visual arts scene.
First Impressions offers news items pertaining to the art scene in Western Canada: accomplishments, awards, unveilings, major public shows, major and unusual events and anecdotal tidbits.
The GALLERY SOURCES section provides listings for some 250 fine art galleries, peppered with gallery-related 'tweets' including new gallery openings, moves, closings, personnel changes, anniversaries, festivals and artwalks. The DIRECTORY is for art-related products and services.
- Galleries West editorial content is managed separately from advertising. Editorial choices are made by the Editor and are not for sale.
- The Editor is always on the outlook for ideas and suggestions. It's never too early to contact the editor (email@example.com). Maybe your idea won't work exactly as presented, but it might stimulate other possibilities. Detailed planning for a given issue begins at least three months before publication.
- Galleries West recognizes that galleries perform an important function in identifying talented artists. As we choose the artists to be profiled in the magazine, we welcome the advice and input of gallery directors and curators.
- The Editor generally prefers that artists featured in a given issue will be exhibiting their work in a gallery during the timeframe of that issue.
- The Editor exercises discretion in the process of choosing feature and profile subjects. This ensures that a good mix of genres, media and galleries (public, commercial and artist run) is represented in each issue.
INTERNET BENEFITS in combination with the print magazine
- Your Enhanced gallery listing - including the 50-word description, the hot link to your website and your use of the powerful Exhibition Calendar - is offered on www.gallerieswest.ca at no charge.
- Posting your exhibition information is three mouse-clicks away. Click on Submit Your Event in the upper right corner of any page on the website. (Call toll-free , or in Calgary, if you need other assistance.)
- If your gallery purchases a display ad in the magazine, your web listing is enhanced with your gallery logo.
- The website listing database is the source for the listings in the print magazine. Your online version should be kept up-to-date by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with any corrections or changes. There is no need to wait until the next issue of the magazine to update your description. Do it now.
- You can hotlink from your gallery website directly to the reviews or other relevant articles on www.gallerieswest.ca.
- Many galleries have included Galleries West among the 'Links' recommended to visitors to their site. We appreciate this reciprocal courtesy.
- In addition to the individual items on our website, all issues of Galleries West have been archived in compressed pdf format and are accessible at Galleries West Magazine>DIGITAL EDITIONS.