Looking for a particular writer or author? Search through our extensive contributors index to find articles, interviews, and art show reviews from respected writers and Fine Art enthusiasts. Check out the page links below by LAST NAME or type the ARTISTS NAME in the SEARCH bar at the top right of our site.
Guidelines for Writers
Galleries West Digital welcomes queries for articles about visual arts exhibitions in Western Canada and visual artists from Western Canada. Most articles relate to artists with a current gallery exhibition, although we also commission articles on more general themes. Galleries West Digital typically publishes six to seven articles every two weeks. We feature a cover story about a major exhibition or a significant art world development, and five other items of current interest, including profiles, auction reports, previews of upcoming shows, and exhibition and book reviews. We also publish occasional news roundups and opinion pieces. Articles are generally three standard lengths: 200 words, 400 words and 800 words. Longer articles are by negotiation only. After an issue of Galleries West Digital expires, articles are accessible on the main website at gallerieswest.ca.
We publish two exhibition reviews each month, primarily covering exhibitions in B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and the North. Occasional reviews of major shows involving Western artists elsewhere in Canada are also published. Reviews are generally 400 words. Reviewers should concisely explain exhibition premises and situate the work, while also describing the visual experience and offering a critical response. We prefer to publish reviews of shows that are still open for viewing.
We look for:
- Writing sophisticated enough to engage art professionals but also accessible to a more general audience with an interest in the arts.
- Timely topics with a strong premise that will interest readers.
- Engaging writing about artists we have not covered extensively in recent years (check the database of previous stories arranged alphabetically by the artist’s name at gallerieswest.ca/artists).
- Stories that represent a diverse range of galleries in communities across Western Canada.
- Articles with a strong, dynamic opening (we post the first 200 words on Galleries West Digital with a link to the full article on the main website).
- Previously published writers or promising emerging writers with a strong sense of craft and a solid knowledge of the visual arts.
Writers are expected to inform Galleries West of any potential conflicts of interest.
Queries should be sent to editor@galleries west.ca. Include a brief proposal explaining what you want to write, with links to relevant websites. If you have not worked with Galleries West before, please include a paragraph describing your experience in writing and the visual arts, and attach PDFs or links to two samples of your writing. It’s not possible to respond to every query, but we do review all submissions.